Monday, September 3, 2007

Appendix B

Self Evaluation


1. Theory
I have an understanding of the theoretical aspects that cover the contributing factors that I’ve covered in this essay. However, I’m not sure whether or not I’ve adequately displayed this understanding. I think I’ve definitely used key terms from the literature, but I found it hard to be able to cover everything in the word limit.

2. Research
I feel as though I have done substantial research for this essay although I would have liked (mostly out of personal interest) to have done more in depth research. I came up against the usual time restraints and having to limit myself to research to answer the question.

I think I have a good understanding of the main research findings although I also would have liked to have been able to discuss some research results on some of the key concepts like deindividuation and its effect on aggression, social influence etc.

3. Written Expression
Readability Analysis: Word Count 1, 512; passive sentences 33%; Flesch Reading Ease 33.1 – I will need to work on improving this in my second blog as it’s a bit below the minimum aim of 42; Flesch –Kincaid grade level 12.0.


I feel as though I have improved my APA style based on constructive criticism from previous assignments. However, with my referencing I have used a couple of sources that aren’t typical journals so I am not completely certain my APA referencing style is perfect.


I’ve used the concept map to display the factors that I believe contribute to genocide. The concept map has been good to use because it allows you to break down the causes into sub-variables and it just seems to make it a lot clearer. I didn’t use any tables or images for this essay, there were a few figures that I reported but there weren’t a large number of figures and a table would have been excessive.


I used headings in my blog to make it easier to read and also to help me stay focused on the topic of the paragraph. I stuck to basic APA formatting, although it hasn’t transferred from Word to Blogger, I think it is still clear and easy to read.

4. Online engagement
I was definitely keen to build up my online engagement in the beginning of the semester, especially because I found the topics so interesting. I made a few comments to other people’s blogs as well as creating a couple of discussions myself.


I would have liked to have done more research and posted that or worked on my draft earlier in the semester and been able to post those up, but I just seemed to run out of time with other assignments and commitments.


Next time I would like to plan dates to post discussions/comments so that I have some steps to aim towards rather than it being such a general idea. I’d also like to make the time to read more people’s blogs so I can get involved in more discussions.


My blogs were:
Test Blog
Genocide (2 comments from other students)
Two Interesting Movies

As well as comments on other student's blogs.

No comments: